Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Upheld by His righteous, omnipotent hand

The lines of the hymn "How Firm A Foundation" have been running through my mind… How firm a foundation is laid for your faith in his excellent word… As thy days may demand so thy succor shall be… Fear not I am with thee, oh, be not dismayed for I am thy God and will still give thee aid… I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand, upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand.

To explain why this has such incredible meaning I have to back up to Sunday. It was a great day- went to church, paid our tithing, attended some meetings and enjoyed just being together at home playing with the kids. It felt so good to just be enjoying sweet memorable moments. That night both babies took turns being up all night. Monday was to be a busy day. Somehow I was able to wake up with energy equal to a good nights rest when it had only been a couple hours. I went to the church and set up for the next evenings enrichment activity and then went to an appointment where an aquaintance who knew only that we have an extra baby at our house offered pro bono legal services for this sweet baby and a generous amount for ‘diaper funds’. It was offered out of the clear blue sky! Straight from my appointment with her I heard news that Tyler’s mom, Angie, was not doing well. I hadn’t planned on visiting her again at the hospital for a few more days but felt like I should drop everything and go see her.

When I got home from my appointment Steve had had the kids for a long day and everyone was hungry and in need of something. How could I leave my little ones to go visit Angie? Steve had ward missionary visits to teach at- he wouldn't be home. I made a couple phone calls and was pointed in the direction of Malorie’s nursery teacher. So on Monday night- at family home evening time- I took my car full of kids and dropped them off in their pjs to a sweet family who fed them and gave them plenty of pampering. I knew they would be okay. I left with Tyler and went to the hospital. Angie wasn’t well.

On my flight out the door I had grabbed a journal entry I’d written about Tyler to share with her, my digital camera with pictures of Tyler in it, a Book of Mormon that I’d highlighted scriptures in for her and the most amazing miracle was an email I’d received from a long lost family friend of Angie’s. This family friend found me through one of my ward members in-laws. It was truly meant for them to find out about Angie and know that I could relay messages to her. So when I arrived I found out about her lack of progression in getting well but was able to lift her spirits through some simple things I had with me- it was the Lord’s doing.

And then on Tuesday I had a total of six kids at the house-- ages: 5, 4, 3, 2, and the two babies plus 2 women that I had to demonstrate an enrichment project to AND then it was also one of the big enrichment nights I was responsible for that suddenly had problems to deal with AND I had an appointment to be to at 1:00. Looking back and seeing that I was able to get the six kids fed and occupied, the women got their instructions, enrichment details and 10 susequent phone calls were made, plus I was still able to make my appointment.... I KNOW.... without one bit of doubt that the Lord stretched those morning hours to make it all fit in. I still can’t imagine repeating that day and being able to function that night at enrichment but it was honestly one the best days, one I hope I don’t forget or the lesson I learned.

I have a sure testimony that if we say ‘yes’ to those opportunities placed before us that the Lord will make all things possible! He will "strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand, upheld by His righteous, omnipotent hand".

1 comment:

Natalie Walker said...

What a great day. Thanks for sharing. I have tears in my eyes. Thanks for the reminder...